What we do
No matter what the issue, we’re here
With over 60 years of experience Relate Nottinghamshire continues to help people strengthen their relationships. Whatever your circumstances we’re dedicated to helping you get the most out of your relationships, no matter how big or small the issue.
All sorts of people come to Relate. You don’t have to be at crisis point – we can help whatever the situation. We can help people dealing with breakups, arguments, affairs, anxiety & depression, sexual problems, step-families, retirement, a new baby or anything else that might affect your relationships.
Relate is the UK’s largest provider of relationship support, and every year nationally we help over a million people of all ages, backgrounds and sexual orientations to strengthen their relationships.
The difference we make
You can find out more about how Relate has helped clients who have come to us for adult relationship counselling in the report, The Difference We Make, which is the source for the statistics detailed below.
- 80% of respondents for whom the question was relevant said Relate had had a positive effect in helping them maintain or strengthen their couple relationship
- 73% of respondents for whom the question was relevant said Relate had a positive effect in helping them to save their couple relationship
- 74% of respondents for whom the question was relevant felt that we had helped them come to terms with a relationship which had ended
- Respondents reported a 20% decrease in days taken off school by their children
- 72% of respondents for whom the question was relevant felt they were better able to deal with the arrival of children or their on-going care
- 58% of respondents felt we had had a positive effect on their ability to concentrate at work
- 45% of respondents felt we had had a positive effect on their ability to manage conflict at work
- 70% of respondents felt we had a positive effect on their self-confidence
- 98% of respondents said they would recommend Relate services to friends and family
Great social movements come from humble beginnings. Relate began life as the Marriage Guidance Council in 1938 through the pioneering work of Dr Herbert Gray who was committed to safeguarding the family as the basis of community life. Counselling was delivered from a small London office, opened in 1943, and over 8,000 clients were seen by a group of dedicated volunteers over the next five years.
In the 1950s, as family life began to recover after the traumas of the war years, the Marriage Guidance Council began to be recognised as a national institution providing dedicated and valuable work. In 1988, Relate re-launched in recognition of our widened access to same sex couples, single people, children and young people and families. Today we have evolved into a modern, thriving organisation providing innovative responses to the needs of the communities we serve.
Nottingham Marriage Guidance was established in 1946. In 1988 we became Relate Nottinghamshire (Marriage Guidance). In 2002 the centre became a company limited by guarantee, registered as Relate Nottinghamshire. We were one of the first Relate Centres to provide family counselling services.
2006 was our Diamond Celebration, marking 60 years of service to the people of Nottinghamshire. Not bad considering that in 1947 we were nearly closed down on the grounds that Nottingham was not ready for Marriage Guidance.
Our highly skilled workforce enable clients to feel better about their relationships which has an impact on their ability to work at school, to maintain a stable home life and to get involved in their community. Relate makes a difference at the heart of our society and our local community in Nottinghamshire.